Dr. Oscar T. Moses
W.A.R. Bible Study
Thursday, December 4, 2018
Bold Moves – Part 1
“Coming Out of Your Comfort Zone to Find Your Calling”
This lesson is designed to help MHMBC discern God’s Call for their life.
In Matthew 14:22-33 we see Jesus immediately command the disciples to get into a boat after the miracle of feeding the five thousand. Jesus sent theminto the Sea of Galilee knowing they would encounter a great storm. Verse 24 says, “But the ship was now in the middle of the sea, tossed with waves for the wind was contrary.”Mark’s Gospel gives the same account but adds another detail. Mark 6:48says, “And he saw them toiling in rowing”. Jesus watched them toiling in the sea for some time then He went unto them walking on the sea. They thought He was a ghost and began crying out because they were afraid. Jesus spoke to them and said,“Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.”
Peter spoke up and said, “If it’s really you bid me to come.”Jesus said, “Come.”When Peter stepped out of the boat he walked on water to go to Jesus. He was doing what was impossible to do but he began to look at the wind and he became frightened and he began to sink. Peter cried out, “Lord save me!”Immediately, Jesus stretched forth His hand and caught Peter and said, “O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?” When Peter and Jesus got into the ship, the wind ceased. The text closes by saying that all of those in the ship began to worship Jesus saying, “Of a truth thou art the son of God.”
- After feeding the crowd of five thousand people, what instructions did Jesus give His disciples?
- Where did Jesus go after He dismissed the crowd? Why?
- What did Jesus do on the mountain?
- Where were the disciples when evening came?
- What conditions were the disciples encountering?
- What miracle did Christ perform?
- How did the disciples react to what they saw?
- How did Jesus try to calm the disciples’ fears?
- What did Peter ask Jesus to do?
- How did Jesus respond to Peter’s request?
- What happened to Peter as he made his way toward Jesus?
- What did Jesus do and say when Peter got in trouble?
- What was the consensus reaction to this amazing sequence of events?
- According to this passage Peter took a risk. What was the key factor that helped him make his decision?
Think About It, Discuss it, and Answer What You Think It Means
- Too Much Comfort Is Dangerous Because It Robs Us from Change
- Change Is What Most People & Churches Fear
- Fear Robs Us of Our Future
- The Future Is Determined by the Risk You Take
- The Risk of Obeying God Will Guarantee a Powerful Reward
- The Risk of Disobeying God Will Turn Your Comfort Zone into A Danger Zone
- How does Peter’s experience apply to the life of a congregation?
- Is it ok for a church to be different and try new approaches to ministry?
- How does a church get out of the boat?
- Name 3 “Bold Moves” MHMBC can take in 2019?
Personal Application – Homework Assignment for Next Week
- Write down the 3 most important decisions you will make in life. Be ready to explain.
- Write down 3 “Bold Moves” you need to make in 2019. (Explanation in class is optional)
Dr. Oscar T. Moses
Rights Reserved by Dr. Oscar T. Moses – W.A.R. Bible Study 2018 – “Bold Moves” 12-4-18