Dr. Oscar T. Moses
W.A.R. Deeper Bible Study
Tuesday, January 16, 2018
Spiritually Equipped for Battle – Lesson #7
Ephesians 6:17 (KJV)
17 – And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
The sixth piece of armor is the “Sword of the Spirt”, which is the Word of God. The critical question is how does a soldier’s sword apply to our sword, the Bible, and how does it help us win spiritual battles?
The Roman soldier’s sword was called the “gladius.” It has been called “the sword that conquered the world.” It was the weapon, when sharpened and used at close range was most effective. When it’s edge was sharpened it could penetrate heavy metal armor. The Roman soldier would have his sword and also a dagger, the “pugio” but his main means of attack was his sword. The sword is the only WEAPON that Paul lists as part of the Christian arsenal. He symbolizes the sword of the Roman soldier to the sword of the Christian, which is the Word of God.
Thought #1 – God’s Word is like a sword that is accurate, precise and able to conquer and destroy. God’s Word is straightforward, plain and simple when applied rightly can give us new life and confidence. We can also be destroyed if we have not the “Word.”
- Explain how God’s Word gives us life? Give 2 scriptures:
- Explain John 17:17 –
- How can we be destroyed by not having God’s Word? See Hosea 4:6 and explain.
- How does God’s Word help us see? Give a scripture.
- How does Luke 11:28 describe we will be blessed?
- How does 1 Peter 3:15 encourage us to study God’s Word?
Thought #2 – The all-powerful sword of the living God is able to cut through every defense our enemy can raise—down to the very division of bone and marrow. When wielded by a servant of God, nothing can withstand its ability to cut straight to the core of a matter and uncover the truth.
- Explain why Hebrews 4:12 is so important when we are under satanic attack?
- How does the Word of God, the Sword, defend us against the lies of the enemy?
- How did Jesus defend Himself against Satan in the wilderness in Matthew 4?
- How does God’s Word help us fight the battle in our minds according to 2 Corinthians 10:4-5? –
Thought #3 – Paul implies that this is our most valued weapon because there is no enemy the Word of God, with the Spirit cannot defeat. And so, armed only with our sword, we step out to fight our enemies head-on. The struggle is real. We cannot play or become careless about studying and knowing God’s Word. Why? Our future in God’s Kingdom is on the line, and we take up the battle so that we may hold fast to the future He has promised us.
- How does Matthew 24:13 apply to this lesson?
- Name 3 ways the “Word” helps us win spiritual battles?
- Name 3 reasons why Bible Study is so important?
A sword needs to be sharpened if it is to remain useful—and it certainly won’t sharpen itself. Bible Study Is Life!!!