Dr. Oscar T. Moses
W.A.R. Bible Study
A Study of Colossians – Lesson #6
Colossians 3:17-25 – 4:1-18
“Getting The Church On Bible Ground”
Paul concludes the “How To’s” in chapter 3 by describing the picture of a Godly home. Here is the apostle’s message translated in The Message Bible.
“Wives, understand and support your husbands by submitting to them in ways that honor the Master. Husbands, go all out in love for your wives. Don’t take advantage of them. Children, do what your parents tell you. This delights the Master no end. Parents, don’t come down too hard on your children or you’ll crush their spirits. Servants, do what you’re told by your earthly masters. And don’t just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you’ll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you’re serving is Christ. The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being Christian doesn’t cover up bad work.”
Colossians 3:18-25 (MSG)
- What should wives do?
- What should husbands do?
- How should children respond to parents?
- Why does obedience to parents please the Lord?
- Of what do fathers need to be careful?
- How can children become discouraged?
- What directives did Paul give slaves?
- How were slaves called on to serve Christ?
- How would God mete out full justice in the master-slave relationship?
- What instructions did Paul give masters?
- What insight did Paul give masters?
Group Application Questions
Discuss the following questions.
- Is the family structure God gave in danger today? If so, how?
- What are your thoughts about submission in marriage, workplace and church?
- How much should the church be involved in your family life?
- Does your service for God reflect that which Paul says it should in this text?
- Why is it important for a family to be biblically grounded?
Because of Him!