Dr. Oscar T. Moses
W.A.R. Bible Study
A Study of Colossians – Lesson #3
Tuesday, April 25, 2017
“Getting The Church On Bible Ground”
Colossians 1:25-29 – Colossians 2:1-10
The suffering Paul endured was imprisonment for preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Paul endured his sufferings because he desired to build the church on “Bible Ground.” Paul wanted to be clear that the Church belongs to Jesus Christ and we, as Christians are to be good stewards of God’s property. Paul’s primary objective was to “fulfill the word of God” through steadfast loyalty to preach the whole counsel of God to all he came in contact with.
Paul informs the reader that until Jesus Christ came the gospel was hidden in the Old Testament. Jesus Christ accomplished man’s salvation through His own sinless life, His sufficient sacrificial death to once and for all time put away sin, His conquering of sin and death through His resurrection, and sending the Holy Spirit to strengthen and established the church. This has been revealed to us, all believers in Christ Jesus, known as His saints.
The Old Testament predicted the coming of Jesus as the Messiah and that Gentiles (non Jews) would partake of salvation. Paul’s intention was to warn everyone that they might be saved in Jesus Christ. He attributes whatever has been accomplished through him as the Work of the Holy Spirit.
In Chapter 2 Paul continued his thought from Colossians 1:29. His aim is to get both the Colossians and Laodiceans on “Bible Ground” that they may come into spiritual maturity. Understanding the full counsel of God would bring understanding and assurance to their salvation.
By understanding God’s Word (Being on Bible Ground) you will learn and understand the following:
- All of truth necessary for salvation, sanctification, and glorification that is found in Jesus Christ, who is God.
- Not to be deceived by the rhetoric of false teachers.
- Conscious of what has been taught about the deity of Christ and His saving sufficiency.
- To walk in Christ and to live a life patterned after His.
- Spiritual maturity develops by establishing a life foundation of biblical truth.
- False teaching is satanic.
- In Christ we have everything we need and we are complete in Christ.
- Jesus Christ is the Creator and Ruler of the universe and all of its spiritual beings.
- What commission did God give Paul?
- What was the mystery Paul referred to?
- Whom had God chosen to make known the mystery?
- How did Paul help believers become spiritually mature? What was his method?
- What kind of effort did Paul expend in preaching and teaching?
- In the opening verse of Chapter 2 what did Paul want his audience to know?
- What was Paul’s stated purpose?
- What is hidden in Christ?
- How would a commitment to the full knowledge of Christ protect the Colossians?
- How was Paul unified with the church at Colosse?
- What delighted Paul?
- How did Paul tell the Colossians to continue in Christ?
- What false teaching was Paul concerned about?
- What did Paul affirm about Christ? How?
- What did God give the Colossian believers?
Life Application Questions
- How is suffering an essential part of the Christian life?
- How can you help others get on Bible Ground?
- What do you do when you become tired of your work for the kingdom of God?
- What makes a church encouraged and united?
- What are some of the things that push people away from the faith?
Making It Personal
- What 3 things can we do at MHMBC to grow in our understanding of Christ?
- What 3 things can you do to grow in your personal understanding of Christ?
Because of Him!
Pastor Oscar T. Moses