Dr. Oscar T. Moses
W.A.R. Bible Study
A Study of Colossians – Lesson #2
Tuesday, April 4, 2017
“Getting The Church On Bible Ground”
Becoming a Bible Grounded Church will have its challenges. Satan despises the Word of God because God’s Word is a light that exposes the truth. Psalm 119:105 – Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. The lamp brightens the “way of life” and exposes what Satan tries to conceal in darkness. The light reveals what is waiting for us. It is important to know that Satan can only work well under dark circumstances. A little light exposes darkness. In the same way, lies are exposed when the Truth of God’s Word comes.
What happens when the Church seeks to get on Bible Ground?
First it will stir up the enemy’s camp. The devil makes a conscious effort to Confuse Christians to convince them that studying God’s Word is not a primary concern in life. This was his first tactic in the Garden of Eden. Genesis 3:4-5 – And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
Secondly, he will try to Conceal the Word: 2 Corinthians 4:3-4 – But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
Thirdly, Satan will try to Confiscate the Word: Matthew 13:19 – When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he, which received seed by the way side.
In Colossians chapter one Paul is trying to assure that the tricks of Satan would not prevail in the Church at Collose. He wanted the Church to be faithful and stand on the “truths” they were taught by Epaphrus. Paul wanted the Church to understand the role of Christ in relation to creation, the Church and conversion. As we learned last week false doctrine surfaced within the Church of Colosse and Paul wanted the Church to understand the Doctrine of Christ. This week Paul expresses his hope that the Church would be grounded in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Key Verse: Colossians 1:23 – If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
- What is Christ’s relationship to God?
- What is Christ’s relationship to Creation?
- How do “all things . . . hold together” under Christ?
- What is Christ’s relationship to the church?
- Why was the resurrection of Jesus significant?
- How did Paul explain the deity of Christ?
- What did God achieve through the work of His Son?
- How did Christ bring us to God?
- Why was reconciliation necessary?
- What is a Christian’s position before God?
- What is the role of faith in reconciliation with God?
- What kind of faith did the Colossians have?
- What was Paul’s confident expectation?
- Why did Paul rejoice?
Group Application Questions
- Why are people often tempted to add to the simple truth of the Gospel?
- How can you tell if someone is preaching and teaching the bible?
- Why is it so important to convince people to participate in Bible Study? Give 3 reasons:
- How does knowing the Word of God help us in our suffering?
- How can we suffer for the Gospel’s sake?
- Does suffering mean that one is out of the will of God?
Dr. Oscar T. Moses